Twenty-six species of butterfly (not including the skippers and darts) have been recently recorded from the Strathbogie Ranges (as far as I am aware).
Perhaps the best on-line reference for Victorian butterflies is the National Museum of Victoria’s Bioinformatics website. Though some of the images aren’t the best, you can also generate maps based on species, or geographic area.
Search this site for all references to butterflies by typing ‘butterfly’ into the search box, at right.
Download the Stratbogie Butterfly Brochure (3.4 MB).
Most records have been provided by Ben Brook, ‘Peppermint Ridge” Bonnie Doon Rd, Toorour/Strathbogie.
- Australian Admiral Vanessa itea
- Cabbage White Pieris rapae rapae
- Caper White Anaphaeis java teutonia
- Chequered Swallowtail Papilio demoleus
- Common Brown Heteronympha merope merope
- Common Grass Blue Zizina labradus labradus
- Common Imperial Blue Jalmenus evagoras evagoras
- Common Silver Xenica Oreixenica lthoniella herceus
- Dainty Swallowtail Papilio anactus
- Donnysa Skipper Hesperilla donnysa delos
- Flame Skipper Hesperilla idothea clara
- Glasswing Acraea andromacha
- Imperial White Delias harpalyce
- Klug’s Xenica Geitoneura klugii klugii
- Lesser Wanderer Danaus chrysippus petilia
- Macleay’s Swallowtail Graphium macleayanus macleayanus
- Meadow Argus Junonia villida calybe
- Monarch Danaus plexippus plexippus
- Orchard Swallowtail Papilio aegeus
- Painted lady Vanessa kershawi
- Pea Blue Lampides boeticus
- Shouldered Brown Heteronympha penelope penelope
- Small Grass Yellow Eurema smilax
- Sword-grass Brown Tisiphone abeona antoni
- Tailed Emperor Polyura pyrrhus sempronius
- Wood White Delias aganippe
Images of Local Butterflies
Family Hesperiidae – Skippers