Take a walk along the wide streets of Longwood, a classic Central Victorian town. Historic sites, rural lifestyle and evident community pride will keep you engaged.

Start: Pub Paddock 55 – 65 Down St., Longwood 3665

This is an easy 3.6km walk around the township. For a longer distance add in the Longwood Recreation Ground Walk (linked below). To complete the whole Longwood Heritage walking package also visit Longwood East on the other side of the Hume.

As for so many Victorian towns, traffic to Victorian goldfields saw the original Longwood settlement securely established. However, arrival of the railway in 1872 moved the town’s centre of activity. It resulted in Old Longwood’s steady depopulation. Now known as the locality of Longwood East. The site of today’s main township is (New) Longwood, surveyed in 1885 to take full advantage of of the railway line.

The town has interesting stories to tell. Bushrangers and ne’er-do-wells roved local hills and plains, including the notorious Kelly Gang. Drought and fire have taken their toll. New technologies such as rail and and the motor car have heavily influenced resident’s comings and goings.

IMG_6241
The White Hart Hotel. This historic hotel has graced the main intersection of the new town since 1885. Aside from an episode of fire damage, it has been continuously operating since its opening.

There were many enterprises supported by the town. At various times there have been several hotels, a telegraph repeater station, a tolling station, a railway station, a bank, Post Office, a coach builder and blacksmith, sale yards, 7 saw mills, grocery stores, butchers, a horse racing track and numerous social and sporting clubs.

Today, it is hard to believe that at the turn of the 19th / 20th century this was dairy as well as sheep country. By the 1920s, land was five pounds per acre. One acre was said to support a ewe and a lamb. The arrival of superphosphate increased stock holdings significantly.

Resident Brian Morrison broke the world shearing record by shearing 410 Merinos in 7 hours and 48 minutes. With wife Judy, their next big accomplishment was “Morrisons”, a company that became a household name across the nation for quality rural apparel.

Few localities can claim multiple heroes awarded the Victoria Cross for their bravery. Three local soldiers have been memorialised here and in grand style at the VC Memorial in nearby Euroa. Major Leslie Maygar in the Boer War, Captain Fred Tubb and Corporal Alexander Burton at Gallipoli in WWI.

The ever busier modern world, with its urban focus and city to city fast cars whizzing past on the freeway by pass, have seen quieter times come to Longwood. However, this is probably another good reason for you to take some time out here.

Enjoy other Longwood walks:
Longwood Rec Reserve Walk
Longwood East Walk

Acknowledgements:
Houston, Ildie B. “From the Days of Old Longwood” Euroa Printers 2007
Brodie, Maurie “Welcome to Longwood” display maps at the Pub Paddock

Amenities
Car parking
BBQ
Shop
Seating
Parkland
Picnic tables
Public toilets
Potable water
Accommodation
Historic features
Sports Reserves
Directional signs
Information signs
Alternative routes

Cautions
Limbs may fall
Uneven ground
Road surfaces vary
Snakes may be active
Tracks may not be clear
Beware of vehicle traffic
Mobile reception may be unreliable
Carry food, water, First Aid, be SunSmart
Be equipped for self-reliant hiking

Restrictions
Dogs must be leashed & under control at all time
Historic relics are protected
Drivers/riders: use formed roads only

VicWalks walkingmaps version Longwood Heritage Walk